John Williams in Vienna, the legendary composer’s chart-topping new album with the world-famous Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra, has become the best-selling orchestral album of 2020. Now, a new Live Edition, containing the complete concert performance given by Williams and the orchestra last January, also including six bonus tracks, featuring a selection of his new arrangements of some of his most iconic movie themes for violinist Anne-Sophie Mutter, together with his on-stage commentary about each of the soundtrack scores in his Vienna program, is released on Deutsche Grammophon.
Star Wars, Harry Potter, Indiana Jones, Jurassic Park – the soundtracks of the master of cinema magic John Williams are among the most popular in film history and have received countless prestigious awards, including five Academy Awards, five Emmys, four Golden Globes and twenty-five Grammys. Now the legendary American film composer has recorded the most famous, beautiful and touching cult themes for the first time with the Vienna Philharmonic. “Great moments in film music” was the headline of the Wiener Zeitung, “Hollywood’s grandmaster delighted with excerpts from his life’s work at the podium of the Vienna Philharmonic.”
Williams ’two concerts at the Wiener Musikverein on January 18 and 19, 2020 were the first performances the composer has ever conducted in continental Europe. Working with the Vienna Philharmonic is “a very special honor” in his life. In addition to Williams and the orchestra, another exceptional artist was on stage in the first half of the concert: Anne-Sophie Mutter. The conductor and the violinist continued their artistic partnership after their joint album Across the Stars.
The new album “John Williams in Vienna” combines cult themes from ET, The White Shark, Star Wars, Harry Potter, Jurassic Park, Indiana Jones and other milestones in film history as well as two previously unreleased adaptations for violin des “Devil’s Dance” from The Witches of Eastwick and the “Raider’s March” from Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Ark. Of course, the world-famous “; Imperial March” from Star Wars should not be missing. “One of the best performances of this march I’ve ever heard,” said Williams.
The new “Live Edition” is the only audio version that contains the unique concert experience with an additional 6 tracks.
The double‑CD is set for release on 5 February 2021, to coincide with Williams’ 89th birthday three days later and is available for pre-order now.
02. THE FLIGHT TO NEVERLAND from HOOK
04. ADDRESSING THE AUDIENCE – INTRODUCTION
05. HEDWIG’S THEME from HARRY POTTER AND THE PHILOSOPHER’S STONE
06. THEME from SABRINA
07. DONNYBROOK FAIR from FAR AND AWAY
08. DEVIL’S DANCE from THE WITCHES OF EASTWICK
09. ADDRESSING THE AUDIENCE ABOUT E.T.
10. ADVENTURES ON EARTH from E. T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL
01. THEME from JURASSIC PARK
02. DARTMOOR, 1912 from WAR HORSE
03. OUT TO SEA & THE SHARK CAGE FUGUE from JAWS
04. MARION’S THEME from INDIANA JONES AND THE RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK
05. ADDRESSING THE AUDIENCE ABOUT STAR WARS
06. THE REBELLION IS REBORN from STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI
07. LUKE & LEIA from STAR WARS: RETURN OF THE JEDI
08. MAIN TITLE from STAR WARS: A NEW HOPE
09. ADDRESSING THE AUDIENCE ABOUT CINDERELLA LIBERTY 1
10. THEME from CINDERELLA LIBERTY
11. ADDRESSING THE AUDIENCE ABOUT TINTIN
12. THE DUEL from THE ADVENTURES OF TINTIN: THE SECRET OF THE UNICORN
13. REMEMBRANCES from SCHINDLER’S LIST
14. RAIDERS MARCH from INDIANA JONES AND THE RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK
15. THE IMPERIAL MARCH from STAR WARS: THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK